[mythtv-users] unable to connect to backend on localhost

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jan 22 20:19:27 UTC 2012

On 01/22/2012 11:10 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 21/01/12 22:25, John Pilkington wrote:
>> After the initial connection from my remote box had been made

If I read this correctly you are:

1) attempting to contact a remote mysql server from this frontend box.

  and then
>> failed, and while the frontend default-theme screen was still displaying
>> its 'unable to connect to the database' message I sshed into mysql from
>> TT3 as user mythtv and queried the server status.
>>
>> Connection id 233, Current database mythconverg, user mythtv at localhost,
>> SSL not in use, Connection localhost via UNIX socket,
>> Server Characterset latin1, others utf8

2) This report says that mysql is using mythtv at localhost (and thus a
socket).

These two conditions cannot both be correct.

If you are attempting to contact a remote mysql server, then a) the
server's address needs to be the IP address of the server box (and not
localhost/127.0.0.1) on the frontend, and b) the mythtv user has to be
properly created/privileged as 'mythtv at frontend' (or through using
'mythtv at 192.168.1.0/24' etc).

>> Anything here look like a possible culprit? And a cure?
>>
>> John P
>
> After more experiments I now have the Mythcenterwide theme active and
> can see the Programme Guide and play a frontend-local iso video.  But I
> see no Recordings listed and still get 'Could not connect to the
> master-backend server' messages in between successful database-queries.
>    MythCoreContext seems to be looking in the right place, but timing out.
>
> I've renamed a mysql.txt instance created by mysql-workbench; no change
> seen.

Both mysql.txt and config.xml should list the IP address of the master
backend.

> Do I need NFS to be active here to play, on the 'new' frontend,
> recordings that exist on the backend box?  The FE/BE system in that box
> still seems to be working fine.

No. NSF is for mounting a remote folder on a local mount point. If you
did that, you would need to have a BE running on the local box, which is
exactly NOT what you want to do. If you copied the settings on the
master BE/FE box exactly, then the new FE is looking to itself for the
BE/mysql server. Which is the problem. A remote FE should be looking for
the master server for the mythconverg database too: if you have one on
the FE box, you are going in the wrong direction.

Geoff