[mythtv-users] Quick question re: Hardware.

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sat Jan 21 22:13:14 UTC 2012

On 21/01/2012 4:51 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/21/2012 16:18, Andrew Stadt wrote:
>> HD:   OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G SSD -
> If this is to be a MythTV frontend, that is _way_ over spec.  Minimyth
> can be installed in under 512MB of disk space, and even on a bulky
> distro, 6-8GB is easily more than enough.  The only thing an SSD would
> really help with on a frontend would be boot.  You might otherwise
> notice a slight improvement in performance when scanning through a large
> video library on an artwork-rich theme.  You would see more of an
> improvement using that as your OS and database disk on the backend, and
> netbooting the frontend from an NFS share located on it.

I had originally got the SSD for the MBE's OS/DB but it really didn't
seem to make a huge difference.  I figured it was sitting idle so I
might as well use it... though netbooting would probably be the way to go.

Do you think the i3 would have enough CPU power to pickup whatever vdpau
can't?

Thanks for the input.

Andrew.