[mythtv-users] Weird lirc problems

john rwc at bestpond.com
Fri Jan 20 21:46:59 UTC 2012

Hello Ivo,

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:58:34 Ivo [Bear] Hanuska wrote:
> Halo everyone,
>
> I have a strange problems of one of my new frontends. Unit is MSI
> MediaLife unit, running last version of Open SuSE - 12.1. On the unit,
> there is installed Mythfrontend v. 0.24.1 from package and lirc 0.20.0.

I am running Opensuse 12.1 with mythtv 24.1 across three computers on my home
network. I really only use a remote on the main frontend in the lounge room,
which is an MCE usb clone made by Hauppage. I also have an imon remote on the
main be/fe but that is not really in use. In addition I use a logitech Harmony
525 that is set to emulate the mce remote.

> Since I installed it, I am fighting with erratic behavior of remote
> control - Philips MCE, connected via USB receiver (for Windows MCE). I
> am running mceusb module. Problem is, that arrows are somehow connected
> to keyboard arrows, so, when I press any of arrow buttons on remote
> controll, mythfronend uses the arrow many times. On the lircrc file, for
> all arrow buttons, repeat is set to 1. It seems, thet Mythfronend is not
> the onlyone, which listens remote. It leems, like Linux thinks, that
> remote arrows are as well arrows of the standard keyboard, where I can
> not set repeat to 0.

Just considering the mce remote, I had it working well with SuSE 11.4 and a
later kernel using the lirc in-kernel drivers. However I ran into similar
problems when due to motherboard/power failures & intermittent problems I had
to install new hardware and re-install 12.1 & all software from scratch on the
main frontend.

There is a discussion thread on the opensuse forums in the hardware section
"What changed in Lirc" where this was discussed, together with the steps taken
to resolve it . I had a discussion started here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/470552-
mythtv-lirc-kernel-mceusb-12-1-a.html

and subsequently moved discussion to this thread:
see: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-
here/hardware/470600-what-changed-lirc.html

In particular see post 10 for details on what was done to get this working,
but I suggest you read all of both threads.

> Maybe someone heard, how to disable IR controller arrows (so they are
> not beeing used by OS), or somehow set them not to use repeat.
>
> Can someone help. or let me know, where to find some sort of "howto
> document" to handle this peculiar problem?

I hope this is of some help.