[mythtv-users] OT: SMB performance?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:38:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

> snipzor

Thanks for all the insight, everyone... I've spent the past couple hours
messing with my smb.conf. Adding the line max protocol = smb2 to the global
section of my smb.conf and bouncing the services resulted in my Windows
machines being unable to connect over SMB. No message that I could find in
/var/log/samba. However, adding the line socket options = TCP_NODELAY
SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_KEEPALIVE (Did I just copy and paste
somebody else's values into my system without digesting what they all
meant? You bet I did) seemed to make all the difference. I'm now getting
right around 100MB/sec transfers between my Linux vm and my Windows 7
workstation.

I have discovered a new wrinkle, however - Copying from one VM to the other
results in speeds of only about 40MB/sec. Since these are both VMs, it may
be that my disk array is the bottleneck now. I'll keep plugging away but I
think at least as far as Samba goes, things are looking up.

To answer some of the questions along the way:

* LVM - I know that Linux has LVM and that one can grow disks. I also know
that Linux can do everything Windows can do and probably more, it's just
that I'm a Windows SysAdmin by trade and not only do I feel more
comfortable working with Windows at the file server level, but this hobby
helps me learn new things I can apply towards my career.
* I'm aware of the MS Embrace-And-Extend way of cutting off a competitor's
air supply. I have no allegience to MS and realize that they're still the
opposite of Open. It's just what I'm most comfortable with.
* I haven't messed with jumbo frames at all, and at the moment, since I
don't think that's my bottleneck, I'm leaving that piece alone. The server
I bought actually supports TOE but I'm not touching that either at this
time.
* My Windows server is a 2008 R2 box and it has Services for Unix
installed. I've also extended my Active Directory schema in order to map
domain accounts to Unix GIDs and all that razmatazz.