[mythtv-users] OT: SMB performance?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:00:19 UTC 2012

On 19 January 2012 20:21, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
> As a sidenote: I realized after sending my initial reply that my windows box (The realtek equipped one) had jumbo frames turned off.
>
> So I turned it back on -- and tried all sorts of settings from 4k-9k.
>
> Best performance? Jumbo Frames turned off.
>
> Go figure.

I found performance increased slightly with jumbo frames turned on,
between a Win 7 box and my main server running NetBSD/samba
3.somethingorother.

However.....

> Turns out now that I read about, the RealTek Gb NIC's have issues. hahahah...

.....I did hit that problem.

I have also had serious problems with realtek NICs in general though,
replaced my home NICs with intel stuff (just the 1000/pro pci and
pci-e cheap cards), everything is much more reliable now.

I also needed a switch that supported it or things just stopped
working (but reading your hardware specs it sounds like that's not a
problem you'll have. ;) )

Have you checked your SMB protocol level settings? The support for
SMB2 is quite new in samba, and it certanly wasn't enabled as standard
last time I checked. (This may have been a long time ago now.)

In your smb.conf, in the [global] section, try 'max protocol = smb2'

see if it helps.

I get about 40MB/sec to/from my samba box to my win7 box, which I
think is about the max my network supports (iftop watching a very
simple client/server sending data across a socket seemed to indicate
this speed too.)

Ian