[mythtv-users] OT: SMB performance?

Geoff mythtv at jagds.com
Fri Jan 20 05:38:19 UTC 2012

>Hi
>
>I had to tweak the smb.conf file quite a fair bit before I too got more
than 30MB/s... Now I can maxout the gigabit link almost consistently.
>8kB buffer wasn't enough.
>
>Here is the line that made it all happen in smb.conf
 > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=262140 SO_SNDBUF=262140

I sync my media drives (2TB WD green drives ) between a ubuntu (XFS) via
Samba to a Win7x64 NTFS, never get less than 80mb/s for multi GB files when
copying,  I've got my RVCBUF & SNDBUF buffers set a little higher - and
haven't changed my smb.conf for 4+years

#############################
# Performance Options
##############################
# TCP_NODELAY tells the server to send as many packets as necessary to keep
delay low.
# This will account for a 30 percent speedup by itself
# SO_KEEPALIVE  initiates a periodic check every four(4) hours to see if the
client is still there.
# This option eventually arranges to close dead connections,
# returning unused memory and process-table entries to the operating system
# SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF of 65536 increased throughput by as much as 20% by
itself

# SMBreadraw and SMBwriteraw, from which the options take their names are
important performance configuration options;
# They enable Samba to use large reads and writes to the network, of up to
64KB in a single SMB request.
# They also require the largest SMB packet structures,
# In the past, some clients failed if you tried to use read raw. No clients
suffer from this problem now.
# Read and write raw default to yes, and should be left on unless you find
you have one of the ancient buggy clients

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_KEEPALIVE