[mythtv-users] OT: SMB performance?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Jan 19 21:00:39 UTC 2012

Ok, I'm done futzing.

Turns out my CentOS Server supports setting the RealTek 8111/8168 (same as my desktop) to MTU of 7200 while my desktop max's out at 9K (that's all it says)

Setting either of these anywhere but 1500 mucks up the world. They perform best when disabled....

As verification, my other windows boxes with Intel NIC's also see better performance with THEM set to 9014 (that's the setting) while my Linux is set for 1500.

Looking around the net, it seems Windows AND Linux people have problems with RealTek's Jumbo Frame Settings.

As another reference, my DNS-343 (Dlink NAS) runs embedded linux and I've set the MTU to 9K which works great on the Windows boxes with Intel NICs, but again, my windows PC barfs once I adjust RealTek to anything but disabled.

My Dlink switches claim to be set for "up to" a 10240byte frame. (and performance levels when working would suggest this is working).

Your problem may very well be the hardware and nothing more.

(p.s. does anyone know if MTU's must all be set the same or do they negotiate automatically between hosts to the largest size compatible between those hosts?)

  -Ben