[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase and xmltv not playing nicely together

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jan 18 17:28:34 UTC 2012

Zitat von Karl Dietz <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>:

> Hi Jan,
>
>> If running mythfilldatabase as usual, I always get an "Error in 1:1:
>> error occurred while parsing element" in the logs. If I run the
>
> Sounds like it could be the BOM or error messages leaking to the output.
>
>> grabber manually and feed the output into mythfilldatabase, it works
>> fine. Running xmllint on the grabber output doesn't reveal anything
>
> Does tv_validate_file or tv_validate_grabber report anything?

tv_validate_file ran fine, which is strange, because
tv_validate_grabber got me on the right track. There was some missed
debug output, polluting the xml stream. I still don't understand how
this standard output got into the output file specified with --output
though.
Anyway, that was a great advice, everything's running fine now.

>> special. Using -v xmltv with mythfilldatabase doesn't show any
>> problems either, besides the mentioned error message right after the
>> xmltv output.
>>
>> Is there any way to pipe or log what's going on between xmltv and
>> mythfilldatabase, so I can actually see the data that causes the parse
>
> It may be easiest to simple open the temporary /tmp/myth* in an editor
> while mfdb is parsing it. (before it gets deleted, as your grabber
> prefers the method allatonce you should have enough time to do so)
>
>> error? I suspect some garbage output or error message that only
>> appears when running xmltv through mythfilldatabase. IIUC the debug
>> log output, the xmltv data is not piped to standard out, but to a
>> temporary file. mythfilldatabase seems to delete this file after the
>> run though, so I can't investigate that. Is there some way to tell
>> mythfilldatabase to not clean up behind itself?
>
> I didn't find anything on how to make a directory append only in Linux,
> so you'll have to use the workaround and open it in an editor quickly.

I tried that, but it seems like mythfilldatabase is already deleting
the output file right after xmltv had finished. I interrupted it while
it was updating the DB backend, but the file was already gone.

> PS: Obviously you can run mfdb in gdb and just break on the deletion
>      but I'd try the simple stuff first.

Thanks, Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/