[mythtv-users] HDHomerun signal problem. Will HDHomerun Prime help?

Tim Frye fencerf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 03:34:22 UTC 2012

Preface:

So I bought a HDHomerun before Christmas and I have it successfully
recording clear QAM from Comcast in the NH area.  I'm having a problem
recording channel 7-1, however.  I keep getting an error indicating that I
should have received a lock by now.  As of 2 weeks ago, I was having the
same problem on channel 5-1 as well, but I had Comcast out to my house for
a different, unrelated problem and they hooked up an amplifier which, by
side effect, seemed to solve the issue on 5-1.  I asked the tech about the
issue with my DVR (i.e. Mythtv) and they said that I needed a DTA to
guarantee tuning all of the channels that I have access to and that they
couldn't help me (On a separate note, I have the REALLY basic cable package
from them).  In the same conversation, they indicated that I would lose all
of my HD channels as they would be scrambling them shortly as part of a
digital transition.

My questions are:

1) I thought that they were required to broadcast anything that I could
feasibly get over the air from local affiliates in the clear.  Does what
they said regarding the HD channels make sense?  I have non-HD equivalent
digital channels of the ones that I would lose, but I love the HD.  If that
is the case, I would be inclined to return the HDHomerun and get the
HDHomerun Prime.  I presume I would then get the HD channels with the
CableCARD setup.  Is this correct?

2) Would the signal issue that I'm having on channel 7-1 be solved by
switching to the Prime?  Does tuning via the CableCARD occur in a different
manner from Clear QAM tuning?

-Tim