[mythtv-users] Motherboard upgrade question - ION2 or CPU grunt?

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Jan 17 23:11:15 UTC 2012

On 12-01-17 03:03 PM, PJR wrote:
> I'm experimenting with Jetway JNC98-525 Fanless Dual Core 1.8GHz Atom
> ION2 from mini-itx plus 290e DVB-T2 usb decoder, 2Gb ram in a 1u case
> (also from mini-itx). The result so far is that HD works very well to my
> test monitor.  Haven't tried recording yet as my Caviar Green 1TB discs
> in RAID 1 have failed (awaiting replacement)!!  Plan is to HDMI connect
> this to my TV via my Marantz SR5002 for full 5.1 sound on HD.  I
> anticipate this all working as my current setup is similar but using and
> AMD m/b with onboard Nvidia graphics but no DVB-T2 (and uses a lot more
> power).

I have a fanless Jetway Atom board here (non-Ion though)
in use as a 24/7 server.

It's mounted vertically for optimal cooling, with large case openings
below and above the board to allow a chimney effect for air movement.

When the CPU temperature goes above 52C or so, one of the Intel SATA ports
begins to malfunction.  So it's not quite capable of true fanless operation.
I've got a software controlled silent fan at the bottom now,
sending a slow/gentle stream of air up the chimney whenever
the core temperature goes above 47C.

Still dead quiet, and works very well.
Despite being a pure Intel board (no Ion(2) graphics),
it can play 720p video on a 1920x1080 display.
The base software system is Ubuntu 10.04,
with a locally built up-to-date 3.x kernel.

Funky.
Cheers