[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Jan 17 18:44:56 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 07:17 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-01-16 11:15 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>
>> I have to ask.  For what reason do you need the file to be compressed?
>
> Simply to save space.
>
> I know others (have and) will say that the savings are not worth it --
> disk is cheap.  In fact it's not, especially when you cannot just simply
> add a new spindle since you have no capacity (i.e. an available sata
> port, or a bus slot to put another sata controller in) to simply add a
> spindle, so that means swapping out an existing spindle for a larger one
> which means buying not only additional capacity but also existing
> capacity in a new spindle.

I would like something similar but knowing what I know my advice is to
just give up on the idea.  It is hard enough to get a DVD ripper to
shrink a DVD and keep menus working in Myth (which I do with limited
success on DVDs I own using DVDFab) let alone converting to something
non standard.

Instead I would recommend concentrating your effort on gaining space in
other ways.  I use NFS to remotely mount video content on disks far away
from my frontends where adding space is easy.  Then use LVM to easily
grow a filesystem when you need more space.  If you really want to swap
a disk LVM is still your friend.  The pvmove utility can move content
from one disk to another online (while the filesystems on it are in
use).  Very cool and handy.  You can even do this with the new disk
temporarily USB attached.  After the content has been moved from the old
disk to the new just swap the disks.  I agree even after many years USB
attached disks are still not as reliable or fast as PATA/SATA but they
work well enough now to use temporarily for migration.

Good luck!

Jeff