[mythtv-users] DLNA server? Anyone?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:38:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>> I have a samsung captivate which will connect to mythtv's UPnP server via
>> the program "allshare".  I assume that this program would be available in
>> some form on their larger products, and *should* work the same.
>
>   I have something like that for my Android phone. It allows me to connect
> the phone to the backend just fine. I can browse stuff quite nicely. I just
> can't play anything.

IMHO, this is still one of the "missing" pieces of the mythbackend....
Good UPNP/DLNA stream with device awareness/transcode support. A good
client like the Patriot Box Office can play 100% of the content the
backend hands out... sadly not all clients are that smart... half the
UPNP/DLNA devices in my house run into content from the backend,
often, they can't play natively. Would be nice to be able to have the
backend be device aware, and offer content the client COULD play.