[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 17 15:22:59 UTC 2012

On 1/17/2012 09:44, Michael Watson wrote:
> Contrary to popular belief, you dont need a beefy machine to run as a
> MBE, P4's with a 1Gb of memory do a rather good job (and are cheap as
> chips, even with 500Gb+ HDD)

Concordant with popular belief, your need for a beefy machine to run as
an MBE depends on your application.  Transcoding and commflagging can be
performed elsewhere, or not at all, guide data downloading and
processing can be done over a long period, but the scheduler is time
sensitive and cannot be offloaded or postponed.  With a couple broadcast
channels, and a couple days worth of EIT data, you can probably get by
with even an old Pentium.  With a large cable or satellite lineup,
several weeks of data, and a hundred or more recording rules, an old P4
or low end Atom won't come close.

Problems generally occur once your scheduler runs hit around a minute.
If you're anywhere around there, it's time to upgrade, or otherwise
figure out why your SQL performance is so poor.