[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Jan 17 13:17:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 07:17 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-01-16 11:15 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> >
> > I have to ask.  For what reason do you need the file to be compressed?
>
> Simply to save space.
>
> I know others (have and) will say that the savings are not worth it --
> disk is cheap.  In fact it's not, especially when you cannot just simply
> add a new spindle since you have no capacity (i.e. an available sata
> port, or a bus slot to put another sata controller in) to simply add a
> spindle, so that means swapping out an existing spindle for a larger one
> which means buying not only additional capacity but also existing
> capacity in a new spindle.
>
> b.

Well, I think most people assume a usb storage drive as an option as
well (which you didn't include).  However, having said that, I think you
now realize you either have to have the whole DVD in its' big size, or
just the movie in an mp4 format.

Most of the HD BluRay guys do the mp4 due to size... me for my "virtual"
movie channel for my Roku's, I did SD mp4s from my DVD's.

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com