[mythtv-users] VDPAU Feedback

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 17 03:19:10 UTC 2012

On 01/16/2012 12:53 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 1/16/2012 9:20 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
>> Gt430 is a great alternative.
>>

> Except if you're running on CentOS 5 which run too old of a kernel to
> properly support the card.<sigh>

Two years ago I bought a Zotac Ion for use as a voip server. (I tested
it for myth first though!). I installed trixbox based on CentOS 5.2
(iirc) and ended up with a dumb box. The distro did not recognize the
NIC chip! IIRC it was about a 2.6.18 kernel. A newer driver did not want
to play with the old kernel.

Rather than recompile the kernel, I copied over a 2.6.29 kernel image
from my Fedora 14 box and the corresponding /lib/modules/2.6.29.. tree
using a usb stick, fixed the grub.cnf file and rebooted successfully.
With ethernet.
Uptime on the box is presently approaching 325 days since I last
rebooted. (Yes, I know. I just jinxed it! If I did, at least I will be
able to plug it into a UPS now.)

But that process might work for you too.

Then again, why not update to CentOs 5.7 or even 6.0?

Geoff