[mythtv-users] MythTV experience with Intel Sandy Bridge graphics

Keith Pyle kpyle at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 23:39:05 UTC 2012

On 01/15/12 19:35, Matt Garman wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 04:49:12PM -0600, Keith Pyle wrote:
>> > There has been frequent discussion about the state of Intel graphics
>> > and their Sandy Bridge chip capabilities, so I wanted to share our
>> > recent experiences.  Here's the hardware and software being used for
>> > the MythTV front-end system.
> I am working on a similar system.  Here are my specs:
> I have very slight horizontal tearing across the top 1/10th of my
> screen.  It's not constant; exists in some scenes, and not in
> others.  I can *almost* ignore it.
>
> I tried enabling the XvPreferOverlay setting in xorg.conf that was
> suggested here; that had no effect.  Same goes for the
> i915.powersave=0 module param that I read about somewhere else.
>
>> > We tried switching to ffmpeg & opengl, but Myth would crash on
>> > starting any playback.  A bit of debugging identified a
>> > null-pointer dereference in the mesa video driver, which we
>> > reported to freedesktop.org.  They fairly quickly posted a
>> > proposed (simple) patch which we have now incorporated.  With the
>> > patch, playback works *very* well with ffmpeg & opengl.  While I'm
> Do you happen to have a link to that patch?  Or if it's small enough
> can you post it?  I too have the "crash when using opengl" issue.

They haven't committed the fix yet, but we picked up the proposed patch
by following the bug report updates and the mesa-dev mailing list.  The
patch can be seen here
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-January/017412.html
(Because of indenting changes, it looks like more than it really is.
The effective change is one line to exit the function if the pointer
"intel" is null.)  Until the patch is released for your distribution,
you'll need to manually patch mesa/drivers/dri/intel/intel_screen.c as
shown at the above link.

If you need the mesa source, it can be obtained at
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa

Keith