[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Jan 16 23:30:18 UTC 2012

On 12-01-16 11:31 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I own a DVD that I'd like to make available in mythvideo as a complete
> copy of the original DVD, including menus, etc.  Put another way, when
> the user selects the file from mythvideo, I want it presented exactly as
> if they were watching the DVD, complete with all titles and menus.
>
> And I want to compress the titles with something like x264.
>
> I can surely use something like Handbrake to encode and compress each
> title as it's own video but I want to maintain the presentation of the
> original DVD complete with the menus.
>
> Can this be done, and what's the best way to achieve it?

Dunno about the "best" way, but this is one way:

    ## First, *watch* the first few minutes of the DVD using mythtv,
    ## to give the software/firmware time to exchange keys.  Then:

    cat /dev/dvd > /var/lib/mythtv/videos/mydvd.iso

That's pretty basic.  You could also use k3b and/or other apps to rip to .iso form.