[mythtv-users] Motherboard upgrade question - ION2 or CPU grunt?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 16 15:09:46 UTC 2012

On 01/16/2012 07:59 AM, Richard Morton wrote:

> I can't comment as I don't know amd. However it has ati graphics and I
> have a lenovo think pad t60 with radon graphics which won't work with
> linux without overheating and crashing, so I have sworn off them.
>
> I thought fusion was amd's equivalent of atom ion.

More like AMD's equivalent of Intel Sandy Bridge*--but AMD's has much
better graphics hardware, which is mostly terrible** on GNU/Linux for
any graphically-demanding tasks, including video, due to the available
drivers (both proprietary and FLOSS).

*Though AMD announced the plan for Fusion--and Intel said it was a
stupid idea--before Intel started Sandy Bridge.

**OK, I'll say, "relatively terrible"--meaning "relative to nvidia
graphics".

Mike