[mythtv-users] unable to connect to backend on localhost

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 16 00:25:13 UTC 2012

On 01/15/2012 03:28 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Doug Lytle<support at drdos.info>  wrote:
>> Ken Dreyer wrote:
>>> I'm really stumped.
>> If CentOS is anything like Mandriva/Mageia, then you'll need to edit the
>> /etc/my.cnf and comment out the skip-networking line and restart mysql.
>
> Yeah, MySQL is already listening on 0.0.0.0:3306. From the frontend
> and backend debugging output, both appear to connect successfully, and
> I can see the data populated in MySQL when I browse with MySQL
> Workbench. So I'm pretty sure MySQL's not at fault.

Mysql may not be at fault, but your myth setup is. From experience, that
'Proto version' error is a result of myth not properly connecting to the
mysql server.

Check the mysql.txt and config.xml files. Use the real IP address in
both. Myth has to use these files to commence contact with mysql so it
can query the settings table. So this sort of error does not correlate
with values in the settings table.

Check that there are no extra versions of these files. If you want
duplicates, make them symlinks.

Geoff