[mythtv-users] unable to connect to backend on localhost

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Sun Jan 15 06:11:05 UTC 2012

I had MythTV working fine in Fedora 12 and 13 with MythTV 0.22 and
MythTV 0.23. I recently reformatted my myth box to CentOS 6 and I'm
rebuilding everything from scratch, using 0.24.1; no database
migration or anything. mythtv-setup worked fine, and I was able to
scan in a few channels.The problem is that I'm unable to get
mythbackend to respond to mythfrontend at all.

The output from mythfrontend, after starting it up:

2012-01-14 22:17:45.911 MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend server:
127.0.0.1:6543 (try 1 of 1)
2012-01-14 22:17:52.914 MythSocket(a3b5608:35): readStringList: Error,
timed out after 7000 ms.
2012-01-14 22:17:52.915 Protocol version check failure.
                        The response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION was empty.
                        This happens when the backend is too busy to respond,
                        or has deadlocked in due to bugs or hardware failure.

Here's what I've checked so far:

1. I'm using "127.0.0.1" as the IP in the configuration. (I've
triple-checked the values in mythtv-setup.)

2. mythbackend is running as root, and I can see with netstat that it
is listening on 0.0.0.0:6543.

3. With tcpdump listening on lo, I can see the initial query on TCP
6543, (I assume from mythfrontend), but no response to this:

30      MYTH_PROTO_VERSION 63 3875641D

3. There are no errors at all in the mythbackend log, even running
with "-v all". In fact, there were no notifications that a client had
connected, either (that I can see). My mythbackend.log is at
http://pastebin.com/hp4CWfME .

$ mythbackend --version
MythTV Version   : 0.24.1-1.el6.1 (b5a3805b92)
MythTV Branch    :
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20110505-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire
using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
using_live using_mheg