[mythtv-users] Streaming to Android with PS3 Media Server

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 14 08:36:51 UTC 2012

On 14 Jan 2012, at 07:39 AM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> My recordings are in .mpg files from DVB-T transmissions. I've been trying to figure out how to play these on my Samsung Galaxy S II mobile phone over my home WiFi network without transcoding them to a format specific to the mobile. I thought the PS3 media Server solution sounded promising as it transcodes on the fly - http://otmanix.de/english/2009/05/13/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-1-introduction/
>
> I can see the list of recordings on my mobile but I don't seem to get anything other than "Unsupported file format" errors when I try to play one. So I assume I don't have the transcoding set up properly. Has anyone got any experience of doing this with MythTV recordings to a mobile phone? Or is there an easier way?

I use an app called AirVideo on the iPod iTouch to do this. You have to install a server component on your pc that does the live transcoding before streaming it to the iTouch. If this is available on android I'd recommend trying it because it works very well.

Other wise a quick google for "AirVideo andriod" throws up https://www.emitapp.com/ which claims to do the same.

Robert.