[mythtv-users] HDHR or Hauppauge HVR-2250 for next tuner card?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sat Jan 14 06:33:13 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-13, at 10:42 PM, John Nissley wrote:

> Should I get
> another HDHomeRun since I watch mostly the channels that do not have the
> copy flag set or should I get an HVR-2250 so I can get analogue and
> clear QAM channels?  I guess my biggest question is does the analogue
> really work on the HVR-2250 because many of the post I read say that
> there are problems.

I use a HVR-2250 as an analog tuner and it's fine provided you're using a fairly recent kernel. I have it running under 2.6.39. It may also work under earlier kernels but those gave me trouble with audio over HDMI so I didn't spend much time with them. The card works well enough as a tuner. I find the audio a bit harsh or tinny but I haven't had a chance to investigate if that's the hardware, driver, or my settings. Or my ears.

The above is a PVR I built for a friend. In my personal PVR I have an HDHR and a 2250 recording HD OTA (& also an HVR-1600 but never mind that). I'd say they're comparable as digital tuners. It's hard to make blanket statements since the manufacturers like to rejig the hardware configuration so my milage may vary from yours. My HDHR is the 1st generation which had the weakest tuners but it's still pretty good IMHO. I regularly have situations where all five tuners are going and I haven't found one to be noticeably better than the others. Weather and broadcaster shenanigans are a bigger factor for me.

- George