[mythtv-users] VDPAU on netbook vs nettop (was Re: Is interleaving memory still the best bet for an Atom?)

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Jan 12 20:35:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Patrick Ouellette
<pat at flying-gecko.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 02:14:14PM -0800, Scott Smith wrote:
>>
>> Pat
>> I have a asus seashell 1215n, which uses the pineview atom chip and the ion2. When running linux in order to use the nvidia gpu a workaround called bumblebee was created. This app basically creates another xserver and virtualgl to direct the opengl calls into the xserver which can display on the intel framebuffer. This does require the nvidia driver, but also can work with nouveau. Running vdpau with this setup just results in errors.
>>
>> I have read of someone using an app called windump, but the attempt was just hack and wasnt ready for normal users.
>>

> OK, now I understand.  I haven't worked with the netbooks and MythTV.  The
> systems I've been working with are "nettop" style machines.  It had not
> occurred to me that the netbook designs would connect the internal LCD monitor
> to the Atom graphics subsystem and not the Nvidia chip.  My current Atom
> system is a Jetway that uses the D525 (supposed to be a pineview series chip)
> and ION2.
>
> The information I've found suggests the Nvidia chip (and its
> framebuffer) connects directly to the HDMI port on some (all?) of the
> netbooks using this set of chips.  Does it make a difference if you have
> a monitor connected to the HDMI port (and the internal display turned off)?

Another related datapoint: I have a pretty high end Dell Sandy Bridge
laptop with the i7-2720QM and I believe it operates in the same
manner... HDMI port is driving from an Nvidia video chip while the
built-in screen uses the Intel HD Graphics 3000 that is integrated
into the Intel QM67 chipset that the laptop uses.

    Marc