[mythtv-users] VDPAU Feedback

Pieter De Wit pieter at insync.za.net
Thu Jan 12 19:21:29 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty sure that this has been echo'ed a 1000 times before, but I
thought once more won't do any harm :)

I got my hands on a Leadtech (Leadtek ?) GeForce 450. The prime reason for
going for the upgrade (from a 7800 GTX GoldenSample) was to utilize
HDMI+Audio.

After a brief 15 min or so fight to get the right audio channel (Turns out
mine was Device 2,7) I popped it over to Mythtv, setup the audio and away
we went. I noticed an improvement in video quality right away, not major, but
it was there. I then set off to confirm that VDPAU is infact working...it
was not. Reading up on it, you have to enable the profile, silly me...

After the boss completed her watching, I switched over to VDPAU and was
blown away. The first thing I noticed was the OSD. It's crisp,clear and
works like a charm. My CPU load is down from +-18% to about 9 (LiveTV
from a DVB-S source). The color mapping is also spot on this time,
no more white washed images. I might even switch back to MythTV's player
instead of mplayer for videos

So, to all involved with the project as a whole, a big thanks !

Cheers,

Pieter