[mythtv-users] GT-430 HDMI Audio Problem

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Jan 12 01:45:25 UTC 2012

On 1/11/2012 3:08 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thursday, 12 January 2012, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com
> <mailto:t004 at kbocek.com>> wrote:
>
>  > 1.0.24 is the latest available for CentOS 5
>  >

> What does cat /proc/asound/version shows

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
Compiled on Dec 10 2011 for kernel 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5 (SMP).

I really think this is the problem. An interaction between ALSA 1.0.24
and kernel 2.6.18.

> I've had issues installing newer drivers in centos, often having to
> manually delete the old ones.
>

>  > Kernel version is 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5. The 2.6.18 is *pretty* long in
>  > the tooth. I remember running into this years ago with CentOS 4 as it
>  > aged. Stuff started breaking and there was just no fixing it. I think
>  > I'm there with CentOS 5.
>
> You can always try to manually compile and installe a more recent
> kernel... And see if that fixes things for you. At least you'll know if
> it's a kernel issue.

Yup. That's a route I ended up following for a work production machine
for CentOS 4 when I needed some up-to-date features. The issue here is
the slew of Myth-specific drivers that would have to be compiled along
with the kernel: nvidia, alsa, lirc. My brain begins to bleed...

> How did you manage to install recent nvidia drivers with 2.6.18?
> As far as I recall, from 260 onward requires a more recent kernel...

It all comes from Axel Thimm's great ATrpms repository. I don't know how
he does it but he has kernel modules for Nvidia 275, 285 and 290.

At this point I have given up and written off the GT-430 as unsupported
under CentOS 5. By driving 3 hours I was able to find a GT-220. This
Myth box is back up and running and I won't try to use this card again
with CentOS 5.

The long-term solution is to move to CentOS 6 but that means solving
some stability problems I'm seeing. A story for another thread.