[mythtv-users] HDHR Channel Scanning

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Jan 11 20:08:37 UTC 2012

On 1/11/2012 11:09 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Patrick Oglesby<octoberblu3 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> In some areas, the local channels over Comcast don't
>> have any CCI info, but may contain other forms of copy protection
>> which the CableCARD will honor and not allow in MythTV.
>
> While true, the Prime coupled with a clear-QAM tuner is an even more
> powerful combination, as the frequency information from the Prime can
> be polled and used to help set up the clear-QAM tuner.
>
> There have been some scripts posted to this list to help do that, but
> I'm not sure if anything has been widely accepted yet.
>
> Eric

I've been running the script I posted here twice a day for months now
and it's saved my bacon once (I would have missed a Niners game!) and
also discovered a channel pulled by Comcast.

I find the Channel Lineup page on the Prime a handy reference tool since
the various channel lineup pages on Comcast's site just don't seem to
get updated quickly enough.

Yes, the Prime plus a regular HDHR is a *very* powerful and useful combo.