[mythtv-users] Share your transcode settings!

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:35:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

>  On 1/11/2012 12:16, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>

>>  I really like the results obtained by running mythtranscode, used in
>> fifodir mode into ffmpeg. You still get to cut adverts out, plus
>> you get full control of recompression. You can maintain interlace, or
>> deinterlace and double the frame rate. My script is linked to from
>> the mythtranscode wiki page: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode.
>> May not do exactly what you want, but should be easy to alter.
>>

>  Can you change from HD to SD and still keep the Mpeg-ts container?  Or
> does it have to go into a nuv?
>

> No and no.  FIFO mode in mythtranscode opens a pair of named pipes on the
> filesystem, and feeds the raw audio and video streams into them.  These
> pipes use the standard 64KB POSIX buffering, so as you pull data from them,
> mythtranscode pushes more data into them, in FIFO ordering.  The video is
> clipped, deinterlaced, cropped, and filtered however you have configured,
> but it is not encoded nor is it multiplexed into any form of container.  It
> is left up to you to do those things.
>

> Raymond,

I didn't realize how far over my head that post was until you explained
what was going on.  Thanks for making it simple with the transcode wrapper
you wrote.

Is the information that I wrote above (and several other posts I
made) something should be reformatted (and expanded upon)  to a narrative
and put on the wiki? Maybe with a title something like: custom
transcoding?   I know you and Mike Dean help me out a bunch when I was
getting set up.  I hate for you guys to always have to answer these
questions.

If you think it would be helpful and not just clutter, then I'll add it to
my to-do list (right behind repaint the hallway).

Jeremy