[mythtv-users] Ubuntu TV

Ryan Patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:19:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>> Ahhh.  So don't call it a TV then.
>
> Well, then it's a good thing that in his entire post, he didn't ONCE
> use the word TV, except in the names "Ubuntu TV" and "ReplayTV". You
> did notice that, right?

But he did respond in a thread that is explicitly discussing "Ubuntu
TV", which is designed to run on. . . TV's.  Also very important, HTPC
means "Home Theater Personal Computer".  That implies that the visual
interface for the HTPC is a large theater like screen.  Maybe even a
TV that you usually sit ten+ feet away from.  The counter-top device
that sits in the kitchen that he later described is not a HTPC.

I have to agree, touchscreen functionality for a home theater TV user
interface is a horrible idea.  A tablet or counter-top user interface
that can access content served from mythbackend/ubuntuTV-server on the
other hand, those could work with a touchscreen interface very well.

-Ryan