[mythtv-users] GT-430 HDMI Audio Problem

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Jan 11 03:16:45 UTC 2012

On 1/10/2012 6:49 PM, Frank Phillips wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Kirk Bocek<t004 at kbocek.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On 1/10/2012 1:43 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>>

>>> Thanks Ken, that's the closest description yet of what I'm seeing. But
>>> PulseAudio isn't installed on CentOS 5, only ALSA. So far this is
>>> looking like an ALSA driver issue.
>>>
>>> Kirk Bocek
>>
>> Here's what the card looks like under CentOS 6.2:
>>
>> $ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> *That's* what I need in 5.7. If I can get those additional devices
>> displayed I'm sure I can get the card working.
>
> It's most likely the kernel in 6.2 that is giving you the
> functionality you want in 5.7.

At this point I'm writing the card off as unsupported in CentOS 5. I did
find a GT-220 which should show up tomorrow and will fall back to what I
know works. <sigh>

The alsa-lib packages on both machines are from ATrpms and so are
exactly the same versions. The problem isn't there. Axel compiles the
same Nvidia source for all platforms so that shouldn't be the issue either.

So as you suggest, Frank, the issue is probably some lower level kernel
or library interaction that probably isn't fixable. <sigh>