[mythtv-users] Ubuntu TV

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:39:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On 12-01-10 05:16 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:
> >
> > You're being one-dimensional
>
> I don't think I am.
>
> > My
> > project wasn't meant to be a TV,
>
> Ahhh.  So don't call it a TV then.  Canonical are calling their project
> "Ubuntu TV".  To me, at least, that means it's a TV.
>
> > it was a media hub for the kitchen.
>
> A "media hub" != "TV", IMHO.
>
> > Get
> > home, tap a couple things, play media.
>
> But surely you don't do that (I mean walk up and touch the screen) on
> the 50" _TV_ you have mounted on the wall above your fireplace, right?
> I mean given that my point was entirely about the usability of a touch
> interface on a TV.

You had responded to my comment that I was glad to see touchscreen support,
because of my previous experience with an HTPC build I had done. So, that
was the context of my reply.

I don't think there are many touchscreen 50" HDTVs out there, so I hadn't
even considered that scenario. That being said, I would love for my 60" TV
to be touchscreen - I tend to have stuff running in the background no
matter what I'm doing and it's a PITA to get home, sit on the couch, cycle
through what I want, launch it, then get back up again. How awesome would
it be to just walk by my TV, tap it a couple times, and have everything
playing?

But, back to the context of my previous comment - I was happy for the
touchscreen capability being there, not for my primary tv, but for my
satellite viewers. I would love for the smaller HTPC boxes I have around
the house (kitchen, garage, basement, office) to be fire-and-forget style,
where I can just tap and go, as opposed to the immersion of the living room
TV.