[mythtv-users] Is interleaving memory still the best bet for an Atom?

Scott Smith pickle136 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 10 22:14:14 UTC 2012

--- On Tue, 1/10/12, Patrick Ouellette <pat at flying-gecko.net> wrote:

From: Patrick Ouellette <pat at flying-gecko.net>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Is interleaving memory still the best bet for an Atom?
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 4:53 PM

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 01:22:40PM -0800, Scott Smith wrote:

> No need to be sarcastic ;-)

No need to top post either ;-) (Sarcasm, it's not just for breakfast anymore)

> Maybe the difference is ION+Optimus. Vpdau needs direct access in order to work. In this case the nvidia gpu draws to the intel framebuffer. There was one hack ive come across but it was not trivial as installing the nvidia driver.

All the ION2 systems I've worked with were Atom based, and it was just as
simple as installing the Nvidia driver.  Either that, or the puny Atom
processor handles 1080p and 720p video playback from mkv unassisted.

What specific hardware are you having a problem with?

Pat
I have a asus seashell 1215n, which uses the pineview atom chip and the ion2. When running linux in order to use the nvidia gpu a workaround called bumblebee was created. This app basically creates another xserver and virtualgl to direct the opengl calls into the xserver which can display on the intel framebuffer. This does require the nvidia driver, but also can work with nouveau. Running vdpau with this setup just results in errors.

I have read of someone using an app called windump, but the attempt was just hack and wasnt ready for normal users.