[mythtv-users] Ubuntu TV

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:25:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/ubuntu-tv-making-its-debut-at-ces/
>>
>> some very nice interface ideas. I'm wondering if these things could be
>> done in MythTV with the current theme abilities?
>>
>> --
>>

> I just came in to see if anybody had posted about this yet - What's the
> underlying tuning technology? Is it MythTV or did Canonical roll their own?
> What about MythTV and XBMC?

According to Ubuntu's website here: http://www.ubuntu.com/tv/contributors
They are working with Mythtv and xbmc.

Very interesting.  Can any Dev's weigh in on this?

Below text pasted from http://www.ubuntu.com/tv/contributors

Myth TV and XBMC are popular open-source TV projects, particularly in the
Ubuntu community. We’re very pleased to collaborate with members of both
communities, enhancing the quality of back-end code that is shared between
projects.
Our focus is to bring a Unity front end to the TV, suitably adapted to the
entertainment, lean-back experience of the living room, but there are
plenty of areas where our needs intersect perfectly with those of other
communities.

Any improvements or changes we make to either project are contributed back.
And we welcome contributions from both communities.

Is this just a different front-end using a myth-tv backend for the
recordings?

Jeremy