[mythtv-users] IPTV in the Netherlands

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 08:52:08 UTC 2012

> I can sign up for fiberglass and I am eager to do so but I would like
> stay using MythTV.
> The fiberglass we getting here is Reggefiber.
>
> THe providers who are offering (TV)services over this fiberglass are:
> *KPN Glasvezel
> *Lijbrandt
> *Solcon
> *Vodafone
> *XS4ALL
>
> Is anyone here running MythTV with one of these providers.
> And if so how did you set it up.
>
> And how is the tv service delivered, is it IPTV or DVB-C over fiberglass.

Unfortunately the service provided does not solely depend on the
provider, but also depends on where you live. For example Lijbrandt
offers an unencrypted IPTV service in some cities, while in other
cities it's using KPN's IPTV service which uses DRM. I'm a Lijbrandt
client, but happen to live in a location where we're stuck with KPN's
IPTV service :(. The type of service provided depends on whether you
live in a so called WBA area or WGDO area. Search for those terms on
tweakers.net should get you the necessary information to figure out
the deal in your city. Asking the provider generally does not help as
the sales teams don't have those details at hand.

Luckily Lijbrandt does provide exellent DVB-C service with no
encryption and the original untouched technicolor stream. This gives
nice picture quality (not HD though) at decent bitrates. Getting
Lijbrandt DVB-C to run on MythTV was really easy. I added two tuners,
ran a scan and pruned the channel list. I have not tried EIT, but our
Sony TV receives that fine, so that may also just work with MythTV (I
used tv_grab_nl_py instead).

So for MythTV I would steer away from KPN as they force you to use
their settopboxes. Lijbrandt is a safer choice especially with regards
to DVB-C, but for IPTV it really depends on where you live. Other
providers I would not know, but going through the tweakers.net forums
should provide the necessary info.