[mythtv-users] Necessary to remove pulseaudio?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 09:26:52 UTC 2012

Hi

On 3 January 2012 10:45, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:
> Consulting a couple of wiki pages about this, I find contradictory
> statements.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound says PA is
> "not supported by MythTV" and "For MythTV installations it is advisable to
> turn off any sound servers that sit on top of ALSA such as Pulse Audio or
> the KDE or Gnome sound servers."

hence the note:
"Note: Please note that the following information is mostly outdated
and no longer relevant in mythtv 0.23 and later. "

0.24 fully supports pulse audio natively.
Any previous version of myth would have worked with ALSA:pulse device,
provided you started myth with a special parameter that wouldn't
disable pulse.

> OTOH http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora#Sound_setup says
> "MythTV does work with Pulseaudio, however, if you wish to remove it, you
> can run the following command to revert to using ALSA only.  yum remove
> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio."  When I run that command, yum says it's available
> but not installed.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> (1) Can MythTV coexist with PA or not?  My video playback is configured to
> use ALSA:default, but it must be using PA in some way since uninstalling it
> broke the sound.

My guess is that you have carried on the settings from an earlier install.

if using 0.24 ; go into the audio settings page and scan for audio
device , then select in the list of audio devices the one you want.

if you want to use digital audio, your device name will contain either
iec958 or hdmi depending on your audio card.

if you want to use pulse, select either ALSA:pulse (recommended) or
PulseAudio:default

If using trunk, no need to scan for audio devices, the list is always
up to date as you enter the settings page.

ALSA:default was the default device myth automatically configured a
long time ago ; set up the audio output device to the actual device
name.