[mythtv-users] DLNA server? Anyone?

Peter Mitchell peterpf_mitchell at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 17:30:04 UTC 2012

I got my Mythbackend running as a DLNA server just before Christmas in
conjunction with a Panasonic DT30. In addition to configuring the backend to
use a real static IP address as mentioned above, it was also necessary to
open various ports within the firewall.

2869 for tcp and 1900 for udp I believe - or simply disable the firewall
temporarily to test things out.

Once I sorted out the firewall and reconfigured the backend everything works
with limitations. This is with an older 0.21 backend.

The limitations I experienced are:
- Whilst new recordings made under 0.21 play back correctly older recordings
dating back to myth 0.81 (.nuv prefix) are not recognized by the tv. Most
likely easy to fix.
- When playing back mkv's managed by mythvideo the DLNA client on the tv
crashes when you stop watching the mkv. It is necessary to exit the client
at this point. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the DT30 or a bug in
the DLNA server of the older 0.21 mythbackend I run. At some point I will
upgrade to 0.24 to see if this improves things. For now I simply work around
the issue.

Peter