[mythtv-users] ramfs for mysql

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:58:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/2012 09:14, Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> Perhaps, but the wiki isn't a good place for this kind of information.
>>> The existing wishlist pages fulfill a similar purpose, and there are
>>> enough duplicates that result on those because the user can't be
>>> bothered to read all the way through them (or perhaps understand them)
>>> before posting a new one.  The mediawiki search algorithm is simply too
>>> awful to make the pages usable.
>> I'm confused, how is the wishlist page a similar purpose?
>
> They're all a bunch of "what if..." thoughts.  What if MythTV had an IM
> client?  What if MythGallery could print?  What if live tv could be
> resumed from another frontend?  What if MythTV ran on my Casio
> calculator?  What if I stuffed MySQL into a RAM filesystem?  Some are
> interesting thoughts that should be perused if someone is bored or
> otherwise motivated.  Some are too difficult or just not possible to
> implement.  Others are bad ideas, and should be marked as such.
>
> All I'm saying is that stuffing all of those things into a giant page on
> the wiki doesn't work.  Take the feature request pages as an example.
> Their traffic counts are low enough to show that if people have such
> thoughts, they're generally not consulting that page.  In my experience,
> if people do have such thoughts they wish to record down somewhere,
> they're just as likely to post it on trac (where they are summarily
> closed), or worse, post a similar or identical line to an existing one
> on the wiki, rather than add a comment against an existing one.
>
> My point is that I've spent a fair bit of time cleaning up, organizing,
> and responding to stuff on those pages, and they're still just as clumsy
> and unwieldy as ever.  Reading through hundreds of lines of the stuff is
> tedious, MediaWiki's search algorithm is not designed to behave in such
> a manner, and the wiki just isn't suited for displaying such information
> in general.  My opinion is that if we actually wanted to properly index
> such musings for new features, or general MythTV or system setup,
> something like ideatorrent would work better.

Ok, if I understand you correctly, what your saying is that  storing
this information on a single Wiki page is a bad idea as referenced by
the Wishlist page?
Are you, then, ok with having topics like this have their own separate
page with an articulated reason why this is not a supported idea
within the official MythTV community?

If you are not ok with having these types of topics referenced on the
wiki for future users to understand, how would you prefer to handle
the situation of dissuading future users from the same ideas already
discussed and refuted?

I agree that the wiki is a poor way to handle the inevitable user
Wishlist requests. I think a trac like system is much better, but a
secondary trac like system specifically for wishlist ideas appears to
not be an option?
However, I would disagree that the Wiki isn't suited for displaying
this "DO NOT DO" type of information.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!