[mythtv-users] Wiki Editing - new to wiki editing and need quick pointers

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jan 6 18:16:46 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jeremy Jones" <jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com>

> I have a few items that over the past months It was suggested I add to
> an appropriate place on the Wiki. One such was some hardware UpNP clients
> I am using. I /think/ I can just type the page name in the address tab of
> the browser and then edit the non-existent page to create a new one.

Well, very close.  Go to the wiki, and search for the page title you want
to create.  The returned page should include a link that you can click to
create the page for which you were searching.  Don't capitalize, unless
the first word is a proper noun.

You do need to be logged into an account for this to work; there's too
much spam out there to leave mediawiki's laying around open anymore.

> For the item above there is a template that I would use as a starting
> point. Do I just /edit/ that template (to get to the code) and then copy
> everything, then paste that code into the "new" page? What about the
> index for the UpNP pages, will it just automatically add the new page based
> on the category?

On the second point, categorization is just the inclusion of a category link
at the bottom of the article.  On the first, I'm not sure which template you're
referring to; I came in late, apparently.

> Thanks for any quick (brief) pointers anyone can offer. I don't want to
> take much of anyone's time. I don't have much to spend contributing myself.

We try to make it as easy as possible.

Cheers,
-- jra