[mythtv-users] my experience with myth on a solid state drive

Matthew Zimmerman mzimmerman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:14:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> You could also just use this in your my.cnf to achieve the same effect:
>
> tmpdir = /dev/shm
>
> However, in the case of MySQL, it's even faster if you prevent it from
> ever using temporary files. You can do this by throwing RAM at it with
> these two parameters in my.cnf:
>
> tmp_table_size
> max_heap_table_size

When I did:
watch -n 1 du -sh /tmp
mythbackend --resched

I was using 150mb (must have smaller schedules and less history then
you real buffs!)

So taking Dan's recommendation, I set in my.cnf and restarted mysql.
tmp_table_size          = 256M
max_heap_table_size     = 256M

Sure enough, mythbackend --resched temporarily added only 0.4M of disk
space to /tmp.

Not sure about snappyness as I actually didn't even test the frontend
yet, and I don't have an SSD, but that's impressive to me!

Great tip Dan and thanks to Ron for finding where much of the
temporary disk IO is!