[mythtv-users] ramfs for mysql

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 6 17:32:58 UTC 2012

On 01/04/2012 09:20 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Phil Bridges<gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Josu Lazkano<josu.lazkano at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks again, I started a new page on the wiki:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Tmpfs
>>>
>>> I will continue editing, feel free to add or modify the content. I am
>>> not english speaker/writer, so I could make some mistakes.
>>>
>>> I try it on LiveTV and it is much faster.
>>>

>> Apparently, somebody felt that wiki page wasn't needed.
>>

> Because it's an extraordinarily bad idea, as reinforced up by our on-staff
> DBAs, and as the wiki is looked upon as official documentation, it's
> something we felt we couldn't allow to be there.
>
> This is something that is just a really, really awful idea.  Buy a small
> SSD-- do not run MySQL in tmpfs.
>
> If you want to tell people to do so, it will need to be on a blog, web
> page, etc. that can't be misconstrued as an official endorsement.
>
> Robert

Well you have convinced me that it is a really really awful idea.

You have not convinced me that there should never be a page on the wiki
talking about this.

You have convinced me that there should be a page: telling everyone how
awful the idea is, but not telling them how it can be done. It should
tell them that they will have to look elsewhere, because it cannot and
will not be endorsed.

We don't own the user's hardware and should not play net-nanny. The user
is supposed to be an adult and not just play one on the list. If he is
told it's bad, and goes ahead anyway, he owns the result.

We should not censor things just because something bad might happen.
There are far far too many examples of that floating around in real life
and on the net. And having some "guru" lecture me that 'having root' is
dangerous (yes, merely *having root access* is dangerous) just pisses me
off. We should not do that. We should not care if someone else does
that. We should not hold his hand. We should just tell him why he ought
not to do it. Period.

And for anyone who cares, the root password for the Silverstonetek DC01
NAS unit is 'toor'.  They don't give it out, because it is "dangerous".

Geoff