[mythtv-users] my experience with myth on a solid state drive

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Jan 6 16:02:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to point out that doing this still, in my case, places 352K
> worth of SQL files in /tmp
> so, in and of itself this is not a solution to what Ronald is
> suggesting by making your SQL tmp point to a ramdisk for the purpose
> of running an SSD. It helps, but not a total solution.

We don't need to be ideological about this...just practical. The
problem was not that it writes at all to temp, but that it was writing
so much. If it only puts < 1MB there a few times an hour, that's not
really a big deal. You'll reduce the drive's lifespan by at most a day
or 2 over it's usable lifespan. Nothing to write home about.

--
Ron Frazier