[mythtv-users] Sony BD Remote (uinput method not working on 11.04)

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 11:23:22 UTC 2012

Finally I have mine working!!!!

Based on the following:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_..._module_method<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote#uinput_kernel_module_method>

which lists several method, but recommends...

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Setup_PS3_BD_Remote

IMPORTANT: The xmbc guide's uinput check `lsmod | grep uinput` won't check
if uinput has been compiled into the kernel. In 11.04 this appears to be
the case. So, you can additionally check `ls -ld /dev/uinput`to test for
this. In short, xbmc online doco appears to be missing this.

IMPORTANT #2: The python pairing scripts do pair the remote to the machine.
However, (for me anyway) it did not set the remote as an input device (and
thus never went to uinput). This is the real source of the problem (as far
as I can tell). The only way I found I could set the remote as an input
device was via the 'blueman' ui (there is an apt aka synaptec package for
it). From there, select the remote on the ui, and there are options to set
and an input device.

Aside from those two notes, the doco on the myth and xbmc wiki's were
enough to get my remote working.

Thanks for all your suggestions :)

p.s. it works awesome too!