[mythtv-users] Necessary to remove pulseaudio?

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Thu Jan 5 20:41:23 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 12:21 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 04/01/2012 15:56, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Paul Gardiner<lists at glidos.net>   wrote:
>>> My source is DVB so the recordings are in sync. The problem is playback.
>>> It's not a huge drift, but enough to see lips and words don't match.
>>> It always resyncs if I hit the back button.
>> This is definitely not a normal attribute of mythtv.
> I managed to improve it a fair amount. I've turned off "Extra audio
> buffering". When I first used mythtv, back several years ago, I
> needed that set so as to avoid glitches during fade-to-blacks.
> It seems I don't need it any more. Turning it off helps enormously,
> but it still isn't quite perfect: I still see a very slight loss of
> sync between audio and video which I can cure by pressing
> the back button. It's slight enough now that I can imagine
> people not noticing it unless closely watching a drummer (say).
> Are you sure you don't see the same? As I said before, every
> frontend I've used has shown the same problem.
>
> Paul.

On one of my frontends (bedroom), I sometimes get the audio sync
problem.  On this computer, I'm using analog audio (just a pair of
computer speakers plugged into the computer).  On my living room
computer hooked up to my A/V receiver via HDMI, I get no sync problems
whatsoever.  I don't know if analog vs digital audio output has anything
to do with it.

-- Kevin