[mythtv-users] my experience with myth on a solid state drive

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jan 5 19:28:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Again, that was another thing I read a lot about. People talking about
>> various systems and why they are better or worse. A lot of people were
>> talking about ext4 being bad because of (I think it was) the
>> journaling and how that wears the drive out a lot too. Some people
>> said go with ext3, others said ext4 with the journaling disabled. I
>> just ignored all the fuss, used ext4 normally (I did NOT disable the
>> journaling or otherwise optimize it) and it's been fine.
>
> I get the feeling they're arguing over a weeks worth of SSD life...

Well, it really depends on how the drive is used. I saw a couple
websites with some stats. One that I bookmarked was this one:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives

You can see for their few examples, the overhead ranges from 4% to
40%. So if everything you do is at the worst case end, maybe you are
trimming 1/3 of the life of the drive. In my case, I have no idea what
the overhead is. If mine is worst case, and I'm only getting 40 years
out of my drive instead of 60 years, then oh well...so be it.

--
Ron Frazier