[mythtv-users] my experience with myth on a solid state drive

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jan 5 19:12:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Robert Longbottom
<rongblor at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thats interesting.  How exactly are you montoring wear level and the
> amount of data being written to your SSD?  Is it specific to the Intel
> ones? - mine is a Kingston I think

On the intel drives, they make it available via the SMART data. If you
install smartctl and then run "smartctl -a /dev/sda" it dumps all of
the smart data for that drive. For Intel drives (1st gen drives may
require a firmware update) it will list a parameter called
Media_Wearout_Indicator that tells you what percent of the wear life
is remaining (starts at 100, goes to zero). There is another value
called Host_Writes_Count while tells how many groups of blocks have
been written to the drive. To get the actual size, you have to take
the raw value for this parameter and convert it to bytes. For my
drive, this means multiplying MediaWearoutIndicator * 65536 * 512.

For a Kingston it may be different. You may or may not have the value,
it may be named differently, and if it's there, the raw number may be
scaled differently.

--
Ron Frazier