[mythtv-users] my experience with myth on a solid state drive

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jan 5 16:47:24 UTC 2012

On 05/01/12 16:20, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> In my experience, myth's program guide has never really been snappy,
> but it seems to have gotten worse over time. Perhaps it's just because
> I've upgraded to digital HD and have about 3 times as many channels as
> I used to. Whatever the cause, it's been a pain to use, sometime even
> taking several seconds to scroll down a page. Likewise, entering the
> Watch Recordings screen seems like it has gotten worse. Again, maybe
> it's just because I have a lot more recordings now than I did several
> years ago. Same thing for Videos.

I can't let this pass. I have a separate BE/BE setup, the FE being a minimyth
system running on a diskless mini-ITX board. I have 219 channels configured,
DVB-T Freeview. I don't use SSDs or anything fancy. Standard 100Mb Ethernet,
yada yada.

The first time I go into the program guide it may take a second. After that,
it's always much quicker than that.

Ditto Watch Recordings. It takes ~2 seconds to build the list of maybe ~390
entries, from then on it's as quick as my own reaction times.

If your system is slower than that, maybe you have other problems.

--

Mike Perkins