[mythtv-users] transcode not working

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Thu Jan 5 14:18:09 UTC 2012

Hi, all.

I'm attempting to transcode recordings for size.  (A 4 hour sports
program in raw QAM is 68 GB, which seems excessive for long-term
storage.)  When I tell the frontend to transcode a recording (using,
for example, medium quality), it apparently fails; nothing happens at

I know this isn't enough information to diagnose my problem, but I
don't know where to find logs or other more detailed error
information.  Can someone please walk me through whatever the next
step would be toward finding out what's going wrong?  I'm pretty much
a newbie at this.

I'm running a single combined FE+BE, which has mostly-stock Mythbuntu
10.04, running Myth 0.24.1.  The recordings are coming from my HDHR
(not "prime").

Thanks in advance!