[mythtv-users] ramfs for mysql

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 08:04:59 UTC 2012

Mark Boyum wrote:

>Would the rsync command be a better option than cp?

I'd say probably not for this. Normally, copying the files from disk
to ram will be populating an empty directory - so no saving. And I'd
also be moving the on-disk copy before making a fresh one (ie keeping
multiple generations) and so there's probably no saving there given
that most tables will have changed and so cannot be hard linked.

Raymond Wagner wrote:

>  >> Thanks again, I started a new page on the wiki:
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Tmpfs
>>>
>>>  I will continue editing, feel free to add or modify the content. I am
>>>  not english speaker/writer, so I could make some mistakes.
>>>
>>>  I try it on LiveTV and it is much faster.
>>>
>>  Apparently, somebody felt that wiki page wasn't needed.
>
>More correctly, someone felt that the wiki can be considered official
>documentation, and official documentation should not suggest doing
>something so dangerous and unnecessary as placing MySQL on a RAMFS.

While I understand your position, there are other pages that start
with something along the lines of "this can break your system" and
therefore could be considered unofficial hacks that are a really bad
idea - but solve a problem for someone ? One of them has one of my
database editing scripts (aka hacks) on it. Perhaps pages need to
start being flagged to indicate whether they are officially
sanctioned, or unofficial dirty hacks ?

This user clearly does see a need for it, so the "unnecessary" part
of your statement is not correct. True, it is dangerous, but as long
as this is made perfectly clear, along with measures to mitigate that
risk, then personally I think it is a valid topic.

I'd also take issue with your language - I assume you are the
Wagnerrp who deleted the page ? I realise you have strong opinions,
but I don't think the language used is appropriate for the
place/medium.

--
Simon Hobson