[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend for Android released on Market

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Feb 28 04:19:19 UTC 2012

On 28/02/2012 4:04 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:

> But I just don't see the point in my case as it's only in the house I
> have sufficient bandwidth, and there I may as well watch the 55 or 32
> inch screens.

I agree with this sentiment, respecting different folks will see it
differently, and the fun involved of getting a fully functioning
frontend on the android devices, having tried various things I think an
android is generally a better remote control than it is a player, not in
technical terms, but in usability terms.

Nodding Drones?
I also note I don't want to get into being a nodding drone controlling
the frontend, ever looking up and down (nodding) between the screen and
the remote device to push the right button..!!  A device with all the
information in the one place seems a good remote control to me, when one
can just push the button one wants like an IR, without turning it on,
sliding and whatever other steps are necessary to just get access to the
actual keys I want to press....

Audio Android Frontends
I also think the smaller pocketable androids would be better for private
audio of what is being played on the screen (via Bluetooth or cable),
than as full players. WiFi Bandwidth is going to better preserved if
only sending audio.

My farthings worth.