[mythtv-users] Nuppel nuisance

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Feb 27 05:47:48 UTC 2012

On 2:59 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
> to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
> play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
> MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> what?
> For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear the
> audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> before crashing.
>
> Any recommendations how to recode them?

I have transcoded many a .nuv recording into DVD compatible mpg and burned to DVD using mytharchive. Perhaps the easiest way to convert these files is to use mytharchive, configure it to skip burning or creating an ISO. When mytharchive is done, go into its temp directory and grab the file <tempdir>/work/[1-9]/final.mpg. Or, if you're adventurous, you can read the the code in /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/scripts/mythburn.py and figure out how it invokes mythtranscode and ffmpeg to transcode an nuv file into an .mpg file.

HTH,
Helen