[mythtv-users] Upgrad failing from schema 1214 to 1265

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 00:16:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 27 February 2012, Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am attempting to upgraed a combined FE/BE from an older verions (0.23 I
> > believe) to latest from atrmps. This also involves an upgrade from older
> > fedora to fedora 16, which runs Mysql 5.5
> >
> > The schema updates to 1215, then hangs while updating to 1216. From looking
> > at the mysqlprocesslist, I see a line:
> >
> >  4  | mythtv | localhost | mythconverg | Query   | 23   | Waiting for schema
> > metadata lock | ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 |
> >
> > Is this an sql problem I can work around, or a bug in the current atrpms
> > packages ?
>
> It took over 5 minutes to upgrade that particular change set on a 2.8GHz C2D
>
> Do not interrupt it, let it run to completion. If you have interrupted it, restore the backup that was created prior the first upgrade and redo it all.
>
> By interrupted it, your DB may now be in a corrupted state.
>
> That was the case for me when I upgraded a backend from 0.21 to 0.24

It took many hours (I want to say 6-8; overnight, basically) to do the
same update to 1216 when I went from 0.21->0.24 on a 3.0GHz Core 2
Duo.  I had played with mysql settings, ext4 barriers, debug logging,
etc, before just taking the one time hit and letting it run; it did
finish eventually, and everything works fine now.

Josh